I’m really split on this video and character.
What I like:
- Non-pathetic female character. (Already better than majority of female video game characters YAY!)
- Playable female character.
- Character traits beyond female stereotypes
- Awesome music
- Love and effort being put into video and character
- Badass-ness comparable to (as in not dwarfed by) male characters
- Non-stereotypical weaponry
What I don’t like:
- She’s barely wearing any clothes, even though she’s supposed to be in battle.
- PAINK (though thankfully she does have other colors to her design.)
- Besides the weirdly sexy clothes for battle the lyrics are oddly sexual as well “Do you ever wanna catch me? Right now I’m feeling ignored! So can you try a little harder? I’m really getting bored!”
I feel so split because it’s so rare that I find a female character from a game that I like at all, but there’s still some glaring problems here. It’s like in the overall narrative of female video game characters it went from “no gurlz alowed” to “ok girls are allowed but only as plot devices to get kidnapped” to “Ok fine girls can have characters beyond stereotypes and badguy bait - BUT ONLY IF THEY’RE REALLY HAWT!”
So then I thought to myself “Hold on a minute Nitpicky! This IS League of Legends we’re talking about! There are lots of character to choose from I’m sure most other female characters won’t have gratuitous T&A!”
And of course I find T&A all over the place, everywhere.
Even characters like Karma that actually have their boobs covered still have them oddly defined under their clothes, have revealing alternative outfits, show way too much leg, etc. The exception being the little kids like Lulu who thank goodness aren’t sexualized.
Not only are the male players for more diverse in design but they’re also not nearly as gratuitously sexy. It’s like character designers take one step forward and then take so, so many steps back. I really really want to appreciate a game where you have the option to play as so many different female characters but so many of them pander to the male gaze it makes me feel like women are still getting the short end of the stick in all of this. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day and equality among the genders in video games will probably take a long time but I just find it so very frustrating.
Jinx is a Criminal in a city that is known for its law enforcement. The lyrics are not sexual- by taunts at the fact that Caitlyn and Vi- The police- Can’t catch her.
As for the other “sexy” female characters- Yes. A lot of the characters are skimp and sexualized. But this game is over 3 seasons old. They started off with sexy characters like Katarina- and now we have some badass warriors like Quinn and Leona.
Riot is trying harder when it comes to female characters.
Yes. The faster and harder you click, the more damage it will do to enemies and turrets. It’s science.